Picture Profile: 2102 Red Kite and Life in a Dead Tree

2102 Red Kite and Life in a Dead Tree

Artist Code: 2102. Red Kite and Life in a Dead Tree. Completed 30th December 2021. Water colour on Aquarelle Arches 100% hot pressed cotton rag 140lbs. Unframed size 12″ x 16″

Red Kite and Life in a Dead Tree

This picture story begins with a chance reading in December 2007 in the Cambridge Evening News. An injured red kite was being cared for by the Raptor Foundation at St Ives. After making a donation, I took many photographs and made several pencil sketches of the bird. I referred to these 3 years later when I saw a red kite flying over our local Watt’s Wood (AC 1104) and produced a painting of two birds. I then received two commissions in 2016 which also required red kites (AC 1112, 1608).

In late September 2021 I again used one of the pencil sketches from 2007 for an exhibition demonstration at the Forum in Norwich where I was exhibiting with the Natural World Art Society (this painting!). Many interesting people came to see the exhibition, and my favourite highlight was when a very bubbly Superman came sweeping in! The first day of painting went quite well and it was nice to have an audience watching my progress. But of course a lot of chat went on as well, so there was not so much painting done as talking about work techniques. Similarly on the second day; but the third and fourth days of the exhibition were quiet, so the bulk of the intricate tree trunk was completed. On the final day of the exhibition I managed to start painting the bird itself, but was feeling rather tired so decided to put the artwork away to finish at home.

I worked on the painting in my home studio on the 6th and 10th of October (a few days after the Forum exhibition) but felt that I mucked it up; lifted off as much paint on the bird as I could, and put it away for another day. On 26th December, after I had not picked up a paintbrush for a couple of months (too many other things going on) I decided that this might be an opportunity to complete a final painting for the year.

Completion eventually came into sight on 29th December – but then I felt it needed a background. So I mixed a lovely pale blue body colour using cobalt blue water colour mixed with titanium white designers’ gouache. Body colour is a thicker medium so that coverage is opaque and even. I use body colour a lot when colouring illuminations, and it suited my purposes here.

 

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

  • Web Analytics